Things are not going my way this week, not just the usual things (piles of dishes & laundry, kids missing the bus two times in two days, having to drive back to school multiple times for sick kids & forgotten lunches, everyday stuff like that) but some big things that are important and effect Life. I thought something was one way and it’s the total opposite and that’s not good. And I am sad and disappointed and trying to readjust my expectations.
And so I am wallowing.
What, you may ask, does wallowing look like?
It looks like Cheez-its, chocolate milk, and avoidance.
Though yesterday it looked like pizza rolls, Doctor Who, and avoidance. Really as long as bad food and avoidance are involved it’s recognizable, certifiable wallowing.
Sometimes this decline of normal activity and healthy eating habits is justified (as I believe they are in this case…though that may be the avoidance talking), but even so one must put forth a conscious effort to stop the wallowing and carry on with life at some point.
In an effort to do just that I bring you part three of my Week of Finishing.
Yes I know it’s been well over a week since I started my Week of Finishing but I actually finished this item last week (there’s proof, just check out my post A Haiku of Completion).
So here it is, the Katniss Cowl.
This has been in the works for a while. If you count the brainstorming & planning phase I’ve been working on this since late June.
It all started with All Night Knits’ post A Call to All Knitters & Crocheters (or something like that). Her neice had sent her a picture of a cowl that was modelled after something the character Katniss Everdeen would be wearing in the upcoming movie Catching Fire.
She wanted one.
And then I saw it and I wanted one…and I knew my daughter would want one.
But there was no pattern available. Apparently the original maker of this is ,as she describes herself , an “intuitive” crocheter who doesn’t use patterns.
Suddenly this had become a challenge. The appeal of the Katniss Cowl increased drastically. I hadn’t had a good creative challenge in a while.
I’ve only made a few simple items without a pattern, mostly hats & a scarf here & there. Even then I usually had some other patterns to reference for size and shape guidelines. The only thing out there for guidance on this was a couple pictures.
And the ones from the movie didn’t even show the back.
From looking at these pictures I figured out that the top part was rope and began playing around with how to crochet around things. This involved me attempting to crochet around a pen (which actually worked) among other things. I pretty much figured out how to make one layer of rope but was a little lost about going around and connecting two rows.
Luckily others had taken up the challenge of the Katniss Cowl as well. Stitches n Scraps had even started blogging as she was making it. Her post about crocheting the ropes helped immensely.
I followed her general directions for crocheting the ropes but didn’t keep count. The yarn I was using was pretty chunky so it wouldn’t have worked out the same anyhow. I just went until the ropes looked full…and I realized I’d used a lot of yarn on just that step.
From there I double crocheted in every other stitch on the rope and started building the cowl from the top down.
At one point I was debating going straight down like a tube or tapering in then back out for the shoulders. I decided to taper. This was around the same time Stitches n Scraps had blogged about finishing her Katniss Cowl. She had tapered too and suggested putting all the increases for the shoulders on each side instead of spread around.
It was good advice. The shape was exactly what I wanted. Unfortunately I didn’t do a good job of recording what I was doing then so I’ll have to do some major stitch counting when/if I decide to try my hand at writing a pattern.
After the neck and shoulders were done the bottom triangles were pretty simple.
I used a half double stitch alternating between using just the front and back loops each row to give it the ribbed effect. As I mentioned before I was using a thick yarn & big hook so it worked up pretty fast. For sizing I held each piece up to my body & whatever other pieces I had done. Luckily that worked but I’d probably have to make the body a little longer for other people. I’m a bit of a shorty.
I actually had all the pieces done awhile ago but then my motivation lagged. When I put it all together I was pretty excited. But still I waited a couple weeks to make the button hole rows & sew the buttons on. Somehow that last leg of the journey took waaay longer than it should have.
Finally, last week, I did it. I rounded the corner and crossed the finish line.
Although I think I need bigger buttons….buuut it’s still technically finished.