It’s November 3rd (hopefully….as in hopefully I finish & actually publish this post today) and I have yet to tell you about the Halloween costumes I made and preview blogged about a week ago.
I feel like I’m running behind. I always feel like I’m running behind.
Thursday morning when I was sewing a turquoise taffeta skirt, painting a wig and two masks, and decorating cuffs with gold trim (I never did get to the buttons) I felt like I was running behind. And I was!
But, despite that frantic Thursday morning push to finish costumes to be worn Thursday evening, all five kids had awesome, wearable, and mostly accurate Halloween costumes.
Actually, maybe it was because of that frantic Thursday morning feeling. It seems like every holiday is accompanied by that very same adrenaline fueled rush to finish.
And maybe that’s not a coincidence. I do have “a lot on my plate” (I get that phrase from people all the time) but also I’m a terrible procrastinator.
Or, rather, I’m excellent at procrastinating. My blogging cohort and I have discussed my procrastinating ways multiple times. Maybe eventually I’ll get around to blogging about my theories regarding and possible addiction to procrastinating.
Wait, what was this post supposed to be about again?
Oh right, Halloween costumes.
As you may or may not have previously read, my kids wanted to be a Clockwork Droid, the 10th Doctor (the David Tennat Doctor as we call him), a peacock, Superman, and a Roman soldier.
I bought the Roman soldier costume and most of the Superman costume (some was composed of pieces I had around already: a blue jacket, red underwear, etc.) That left me with three costumes to make ranging from moderately complicated to complicated.
Here is what we ended up with:
The 10th Doctor.
Obviously (to fans of The Doctor) this is not exact, but hopefully it’s close enough to recognize what he’s supposed to be. I went for a shorter coat over a full trench so that it could be more wearable as a regular coat after Halloween. The coat was originally a regular sized men’s jacket that I took the sleeves off, took in at the sides, and shortened & reattached the sleeves.
Those stupid sleeves took me three tries.
Derg! Not quite right….
Ahh. Much better.
The great thing about this one was that I was able to use fabric from my stash & only had to buy the materials to make the mask. I’m pretty sure this was the cheapest costume of the year.
It went something like this:
Cape in progress….
I was trying to make a rectangle cape look like semicircle feathers. I think it turned out pretty good, not great but pretty good.
The skirt was just a band of taffeta attached to wide elastic. It doesn’t fit her very well but worked for the costume.
And the Clockwork Droid:
First let me explain what that is. It’s the “bad guy” from an episode of the second season of Doctor Who. The Doctor and his companion land on a ship that has no humans on it only these droids made up entirely of clockwork parts. They have see through humanoid casings so you see all these intricate clock parts that make them function.
Don’t get too excited yet. That is not what I made.
Throughout the episode one or two of these droids pop up at various points in this girl’s life using time windows. When they do they’re dressed culturally appropriate for her time (I think 17th century France) but wear a mask to cover their clockwork faces. It’s pretty creepy.
That is what I made.
Usually this kid of mine won’t let me take his picture at all. As you can see, he has no problem with it when he’s in costume.
I’m not even going to begin to go into how I made this one. That may be deserving of it’s own post.
I will say that I enjoyed the challenge of this costume and am very happy with the results.
I’m trying to talk my son into having a Doctor Who themed costume party for his thirteenth birthday just so the costume will be worn again. He says no but we’ve got a few months to work on him. Who knows maybe I’ll find a costume party next year and wear it.
And just so I don’t feel like I’m leaving out the other two: