Every once in a while the item you’re in the middle of crocheting will take on a life of it’s own and suddenly look like something else, something totally unrelated to what you intend to make. Something…questionable.
Back before Christmas one of my brothers posted a picture of a shark hat on the Book of Faces (aka Facebook) and stated that he wanted such a hat. I commented that there was probably a pattern for a crochet version of a hat like that. Then I completely forgot about the exchange until his birthday in January which happened to be the day before that same brother and I would be attending a concert together. And of course at that point it was too late to whip up a hat that resembled a prop from the notoriously bad movie Sharknado. I kicked myself for not remembering and starting the hat sooner. And then I forgot all about it once again until a week or so later when my family began discussing when we’d have our bimonthly birthday dinners. It occurred to me that I had possibly just enough time to make a hat before we’d be celebrating the January and February birthdays.
There are plenty of shark hat patterns out there on the inter-web but I wanted a specific kind of pattern…a free one. What can I say, I’m
cheap thrifty? It also needed to be big enough for my brother’s giant head.
The picture on the pattern was a bit goofy but it just looked like a shark. The hat I made, well, it’s got a whole lot of something else going on. It kind of adds to the fun ridiculousness of the thing.
Do you see it yet?…
In the words of Ron Burgandy, “Don’t act like you’re not impressed!”
On a slightly more serious note, this pattern was a bit hard to follow. I ended up altering the fins just a little and then extending the length of the tail region. The latter was due to the fact that it just wasn’t long enough after the forty-third row so I added more and then attempted to make the front more pointy to be reminiscent of a shark’s nose and to make sure this would fit an adult male. When the hat was finished the tail fins were more …limp than I personally prefer and the dorsal fin threatened to droop. I wove some fine craft wire through each of the three fins to help keep them erect. It worked like a charm, like Viagra for yarn based shapes. Oh, and I left the side fins off. They seemed like just a bit too much, the hat was already over the top enough without them.
So, yup, I crocheted a very phallic hat for my brother…it’s not the first time something like this has happened here at Night’sWatchBlog.
Strange things happen when you mess with yarn!